As the first case of the Zika Virus was confirmed in the US, other countries , including India, raised an alert to guard against the spread of the mosquito-born virus. A day after the World Health Organisation (WHO) declared emergency over the “EXPLOSIVE” spread of the virus, the Indian health ministry issued detailed guidelines for combating the disease. India needs to be particularly conscious about the spread of the disease since the mosquito that carries the virus actually thrives in the country.
THE AEDES AEGYPTI MOSQUITO whose bite transmits the disease is the same as the one that transmits dengue and chikungunya, which is widely prevalent in India.
The Mosquito behind the Zika virus seems to operate like a heat-driven missile of disease. Scientists say the hotter it gets, the better the mosquito that carries Zika Virus is at transmitting variety of dangerous illnesses. And, with the temperature rising across India, it becomes more important to take precautions and not let the Aedes Aegypti mosquito breed.
HERE IS THE LIST OF THE GUIDELINES ISSUED BY THE HEALTH MINISTRY AND DOCTORS THAT YOU SHOULD KEEP WITH YOU:-
· PREVENT MOSQUITO BREEDING AROUND HOUSES.
· USE MOSQUITO REPELLENTS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM MOSQUITO BITES
· NON ESSENTIAL TRAVEL TO THE AFFECTED COUNTRIES IN THE LATIN AMERICAN REGION AND THE CARIBBEAN SHOULD BE DEFERRED/CANCELLED.
· PREGNANT WOMEN OR WOMEN WHO ARE TRYING TO BECOME PREGNANT SHOULD DEFER/CANCEL THEIR TRAVEL TO THE AFFECTED AREA
· ALL TRAVELERS TO THE AFFECTED COUNTRIES/ AREA SHOULD STRICTLY FOLLOW INDIVIDUAL PROTECTIVE MEASURES ESPECIALLY DURING THE DAY, TO PREVENT MOSQUITO BITES (USE OF MOSQUITO REPELLANT CREAM, ELECTRONIC MOSQUITO REPELLANTS, USE OF BED NETS, AND DRESS THAT APPROPRIATELY COVERS MOST OF THE BODY PARTS).
· PERSONS WITH CO-MORBID CONDITIONS (DIABETES, HYPERTENSION, CHRONIC RESPIRATORY ILLNESS, IMMUNITY DISORDERS, ETC.) SHOULD SEEK ADVICE FROM THE NEAREST HEALTH FACILITY PRIOR TO TRAVEL TO AN AFFECTED COUNTRY.
· TRAVELLERS WHO COMPLAIN OF FEVER WITHIN TWO WEEKS OF RETURN FROM AN AFFECTED COUNTRY SHOULD REPORT TO THE NEAREST HEALTH FACILITY.
· PREGNANT WOMEN WHO HAVE TRAVELLED TO AREAS WITH ZIKA VIRUS TRANSMISSION SHOULD MENTION ABOUT THEIR TRAVEL DURING ANTE-NATAL VISITS IN ORDER TO BE ASSESSED AND MONITORED APPROPRIATELY.
Please be safe and spread awareness..... .... ....